Friday, January 23, 2009

WoW Insider Promotes Kree's Blog


Wow InsiderYesterday my DKP posts were featured on WoWInsiders main blog posts. I had gotten a lot of positive feedback from my usual readers and this was the icing on top of the cake. And I'm not even done with my series on this topic! So far I've gotten 1500 extra hits on this blog overnight.

However, with the amount of people coming to the site not all the feedback could be positive right? Well lots were (a lot of people were excited to see the pitfall image).

I followed the comments on the WoW Insider post and tried to keep up with the comments that came in under my posts here. Rather than reply to each and every one of them (I did reply to a few on WoWInsider) I figure I'll interrupt my regularly scheduled blog post for today and answer some of the feedback via another blog post. This may get long, but then again you're used to that by now I'm sure anyways.

Shamad writes:

As a student of economics I'd say you're wrong, inflation is inflation, and dkp inflation is inflation. All it means is an increase in the supply of whatever we use to barter with. More dkp, people are willing/able to pay more for stuff, limited amount of stuff, prices go up. It's called inflation.

Now, the real reason I reacted to seeing this on wowinsider was the implication that it was a bad thing that active, veteran players who've put in countless of hours earning their dkp actually be rewarded for that with an advantage in terms of getting the best loot when it finally does drop. To me, that sounds about how it should be. Mind you, if a new (less geared) person joins the guild, he'll prolly be able to pick up a good 5-6 epics in his first raid with the guild, all for minimum bids. Why? Because those veterans sitting on those tons of dkp waiting for one of the rare missing drops that they need are in effect boosting the new recruits or less active raiders. They're running a raid where almost every drop is not of interest to them, meaning what used to be worth several hundred dkp is picked up by the new guy for 10dkp.

I never admitted to be a student of anything but some WoW research. Economics are not my hot suit and must of my blog posting on this topic is really just trying to simplify the basic ideas of things. I write enough as it is so putting full detail in everything would just get a bit mundane. But I digress, what I was really trying to get at in my explanation of inflation is what Angelie calls "The DKP Gap" in her post on the WoW Guild Relations forum (under post #10). This gap is the DKP difference between the top of the DKP and the bottom (which is normally effected by attendance, length in guild, etc). Interestingly enough her suggestions mirror my own (not that mine were anything brand new anyways), but I never actually used her post as a resource for these posts.

Shamad's real problem though is what I should be addressing. He is assuming that everyone in the system is worth something different. Newer members are inherently undergeared, veterans actually showed up to all of the progression and not just the easy farm nights, and that the only reason there is a "DKP Gap" is that members are waiting for that one drop that just won't drop. While a veteran raid member I'm sure would totally agree with him (and by the sound of it he must be one himself) the brand new members would never see it that way. People see that there is this huge gap between them and they can never make it up. What happens when there is brand new content that drops gear that is upgrades for everyone (Tier 8)? Do the old members who helped the guild get through the old content deserve more than the newer members that are currently helping with progression?

I agree that to some point veterans should get some sort of one-up because without them the guild would not be where it was today, but in the same breathe the guild would not be still the same as it is if not for the newer members who replaced the ones who retired, changed guilds, etc. Of course, like Shamad's comment, these are just my beliefs. This is something you want to decide early on when setting up this system. That is why these options are out there that I laid out.

Ok, holy crap that's long and I have like 5 more to go. I'll split these up into separate posts that will release throughout the day(as I finish them).



Vote for this article on Massive Blips!
MassiveBlips: vote it up!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

New here? Subscribe to Kree's Blog by RSS or by Email.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  © Blogger template 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Customized Header Created by The Computer Lady

Back to TOP