Friday, February 6, 2009

Redirecting the Downward Spiral


Sometimes a raid force breaks down to the point where nothing good is being accomplished. Maybe it is because there are a lot of newer people within your raid or because you had a demoralizing wipe on trash or whatever. How do you rebound from those things and get things back on track?

I admit this is one of the tougher things to do and sometimes you as a leader are so caught up in the downward spiral that it causes that you don't recognize it. But once you do recognize it there are only a few things you can do.

You can let it happen. Sometimes the best thing that you can do is let it all play out and hit rock bottom. Normally I wouldn't say that this is a good thing but sometimes it takes a few epic fails for people to see what is really going on.

Or you could just cut it off. I would suggest this over letting it simmer. When things go bad, sometimes you just have to say "ok, enough is enough" and call it. Sometimes this upsets some of the gun-ho raiders who think that by pressing o everything will work itself out (which is the premise of the first solution), but there comes a point when one must realize that doing that will solve nothing and just make things worse.

Last, you can address the problem. Whether you let it go on or you cancel it you should always address the issue. Let people know what you perceive is happening and if you know the answer then let them know how you think it can be fixed.

An example:

No Vacancy recently had a few bad weeks of raiding in which we were making little to no progress during our raid weeks. Some of it was newer members earning their way into "the core" but most of it was a lack of communication and overall teamwork. Too much I and now enough we. I had let it get to the point where I was so frustrated that I really wanted to just call it all and transfer to a more progressed guild.

Instead I let it play itself out until it had reached more or less rock bottom. Once it had, I finally stepped in and addressed the guild telling them what I felt was happening and how I felt we needed to address it. Now I know I didn't do a great job of expressing myself and in reality I probably could have handled the situation better and ruffled feathers less but in the end it worked. The rest of the raid week went extremely well. People were more focused and worked better as a team. We ended up getting 3 new bosses down and are looking well on our way of being where I felt we should have been weeks ago.



Vote for this article on Massive Blips!
MassiveBlips: vote it up!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

New here? Subscribe to Kree's Blog by RSS or by Email.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  © Blogger template 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Customized Header Created by The Computer Lady

Back to TOP